Many years ago, I discovered my passion was Feng Shui. I began offering
, and then started this blog to share my knowledge with a broader base. I began creating
and other information products, all to help people find their true path. That's the amazing thing about living in the moment and finding your true life purpose. You become immediately and intensely inspired to help other people do the same thing. You want to share it with the world.
We've all heard the phrase “
Do what you love and the money will follow.
” We know that finding your passion is the way to profits, as a business owner or an employee. But what if you've discovered your true passion, that one thing you'd do for free even if no one paid you -- and now you're not sure how to make money at it?
Here are a few ideas.
1. Find a job or start a business in the field.
Love video games? You might consider becoming a designer or a tester. (Now that's the life for some people!) Love color and interior design? Either start your own business as an interior designer or work for a firm that provides that service. It's a very clear path from what you love to how you can make money.
But what if your passion is a particular sport? The chances of becoming a professional athlete as an adult, when you haven't spent your life working toward that goal, gone to college for your sport of choice, and been drafted by a pro team, are very slim. But you can pursue your passion in other ways.
2. Teach it.
- If you can't be a professional athlete, you might decide to be a coach and mentor the next Tim Tebow. Or maybe you love guitar so you become a private teacher. The expression, “Those who can't do, teach,” isn't quite true. You need the skills to be able to teach it well. But someone with the gift to teach find a wonderful, rewarding career or business.
3. Write about it.
- In the age of the Internet and self-publishing, it's easier than ever to write about your passion and garner thousands of readers very quickly. Whatever your passion, you can start a blog, write a book, and make money from your efforts.
4. Talk about it.
- This is different from teaching; I'm talking about public speaking to large crowds at industry events, seminars, and even your local bookstore. Whatever your passion, everyone has a story to tell. Why not parlay your story into a successful career as a public speaker?
5. Sell products related to your passion.
- Someone passionate about a sport may open a retail store or an ecommerce site selling the tools of the trade. Whatever you're passionate about, there are products related to it. And if there aren't? Why not invent some, and then sell them, while getting others to sell them, as well.
6. Make a difference with it.
- Whether you think locally or, through the Internet, globally, you can create a strong community around your passion. Think of this not so much as nurturing your prospects, but as sharing your passion with others, and the money will come.
7. Do it all.
- Many successful entrepreneurs today have successful blogs and info-products, teach classes at local colleges, offer their services as a public speaker, and provide consulting services. In addition, their website may have an ecommerce component where they sell products related to their passion, and most entrepreneurs devote time to helping those less fortunate, mentoring others, or nurturing a community around their passion. (Or all three.)
Writer Les Brown said, “Aim for the moon -- if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars!" It's especially true when you're thinking of business ideas that will permit you to follow your passion and share your life purpose with the world.